Tuckpointing or repointing is the process of removing deteriorated mortar from between masonry units—brick, stone, concrete block, etc. Once the old mortar is removed, new mortar is then tightly packed into place. When tuckpointing masonry, we take great care in:
- Correctly identifying areas that need repair.
- Selecting the right mortar removal tools, including proper dust control.
- Selecting the correct mortar replacement to ensure correct physical properties and matching color and texture.
- Removing existing mortar without damaging the surrounding masonry.
- Proper masonry cleaning and preparation prior to repairing or replacing mortar.
- Proper preparation and superior skill in installing the mortar so it matches surrounding mortar joints and doesn’t stain the masonry units.
- Ensuring the newly installed mortar is cured properly.